Not everyone wants to follow in Ben Ainslie's footsteps and make it to Olympic glory. With this in mind, LaserPerformance have developed a range of sails to suit the different levels of sailor and their wallet. As one of the official Laser dealers in the UK, we are happy to talk you through the options if you aren't sure. To find out more - read on!
The Laser has 3 different types of rig: 4.7, Radial and Standard. Within each rig size there are now 3 types of sail for different scenarios.
- Official Class Legal Sails - this sail is for the top-end racer who competes regularly at National and International events. The red button you find on these official class legal sails demonstrates that LaserPerformance have paid a royalty to the class associations supporting the class.
- Class Compliant Sails - this sail is the same as the Class Legal sail, but without the button so it cannot be used at class events. If you are looking for a sail for squad weekends and camps to keep your official sail in better condition for races, this is the sail for you.
- Training Sails - Just looking to sail at your local club, perhaps visit a couple of neighbouring clubs for their open events? While this sail has the same shape as the official sails, it's made from lighter material which is reflected in the price.
LASER STANDARD SAILS
Also known as the full rig, the Laser standard sail is available in a MKI or MKII shape. The MKII shape is the newer design and the MKI has more or less been phased out. Sail numbers for the Standard sail are 300mm or 12 inches high and you will need 6 numbers on each side of the sail: the first two are red, the remaining 4 black.
- Class Legal Laser Standard MKII Sail - £540
- Class Compliant Laser Standard MKII Sail - £410
- Training Laser Standard MKII Sail - £219
- Laser MKII batten set - £47
LASER RADIAL SAILS
The Laser Radial is for small adults, women and youth sailors. Sail numbers for the Radial sail are 300mm or 12 inches high and you will need 6 numbers on each side of the sail: the first two are red, the remaining 4 black.
- Class Legal Laser Radial Sail - £540
- Class Compliant Laser Radial Sail - £364
- Training Laser Radial Sail - £206
- Laser Radial batten set - £29.81
LASER 4.7 SAILS
The 4.7 is often the next step after the Optimist or Topper as sailors transition from Junior to Youth Sailing. The 4.7 sail is smaller and more manageable than the Radial.
Sail numbers for the 4.7 sail are 230mm or 9 inches high and you will need 6 numbers on each side of the sail: the first two are red, the remaining 4 black.
- Class Legal Laser 4.7 Sail - £420
- Class Compliant Laser 4.7 Sail - £333
- Training Laser 4.7 Sail - £195
- Laser 4.7 batten set - £29.81
You can see the full range of Laser sails on our website.
We also offer a Sail Numbering Service. If you would like us to number your sail for you, just send us an email with your sail number and when you need the sail by.
Still not sure? Just drop us a line in the office 01324 861 756 or firstname.lastname@example.org